Monday, November 23, 2015

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Slinger High School staff


By: Kylie Coffin,  Co Editor-in-Chief
Posted November 23rd, 2015

Thanksgiving is a special holiday where all people are allotted timeout of their hectic pre-winter schedules to appreciate the things that make their lives worth living. In daily life, it is easy to be grateful for people and circumstances at a subconscious level rather than taking the time to consciously feel thankful for them. As you give thanks this Thanksgiving, consider giving Slinger High School a thought. Every day students are taught by teachers who work to expand their knowledge of the world, build their confidence, provide them with opportunities to mature and grow, and keep them safe. Because Thanksgiving day will be upon us soon, I wanted to know what some of Slinger High School’s teachers’ associated the holiday with.

What is your favorite thing about Thanksgiving?

Mrs. Holzer: My favorite thing about Thanksgiving is you actually get to celebrate the Holiday of being thankful for everything in your life.  You don't need to stress about buying the perfect gifts for anyone, or shop until you drop.  Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where you truly get to appreciate and be thankful for family and friends.

Ms. Willie: My favorite thing about thanksgiving is my grandma's cranberry sauce. It's the best cranberry sauce out there. She makes it fresh with cranberries, oranges, brown sugar and some other delicious ingredients!

Mr. Strand: Like many other people, I think my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is the pumpkin pie. All of the food is great, the camaraderie with family is nice, the football games are a tradition, but the pumpkin pie is the real reason this holiday exists.

What is your favorite Thanksgiving memory?

(Mrs. Holzer generously shared two memories that stand out for her; both memories are touching, but the second is especially eye-opening.)
Mrs. Holzer:  I come from a very large family where there are over 50 people in one house at Thanksgiving.  So, the kids normally had to sit at a kids table when I was younger - this table DID NOT have the good china or silverware.  I will never forget the moment I was moved from the kids table to the "adult" table.  I felt like such a big deal.  But more importantly… I enjoyed watching my own daughters face at Thanksgiving when she was allowed to eat at the "adult" table off the good china and silverware.  She felt like quite the big deal - like I did - and it brought back the memories of my own childhood.  

My brother passed away in a car accident when he was 19 years old - I was 22 at the time.  It happened in May, and on that Thanksgiving in November, we all realized what the true meaning of Thanksgiving was - to be thankful for the people in your life because tomorrow isn't promised to any of us.  My brother had taken out an accidental life insurance policy on himself, so on Thanksgiving, under each of our plates, my parents had given us each $5000.00, from my brother - one last thing from him to be thankful for...it was an eye opening Thanksgiving for me when I was young, to lose someone I loved at such a young age - but a memory I will never forget and a meaning of Thanksgiving I never take for granted.

Ms. Willie: My favorite thanksgiving memory is when my friends and I have summer thanksgiving every year. We all love the food so much we decided for the last 4 years to cook a HUGE thanksgiving dinner in summer too! It's obviously delicious and we take time to go around the table and everyone has to say a couple things they are thankful for. It's extra special!

Mr. Strand: My favorite Thanksgiving memory came in 2012. My wife was pregnant with Jack and was due four days after Thanksgiving. We weren't able to travel home for the holiday, so my wife was pretty upset. We organized a Thanksgiving at our house instead, and our family came to visit with us in our home, some of them for the first time. It was great. Even better, four days later, we had a new baby.

If you wish to hear responses from Mrs. Erdmann, Mr. Hamm, and Mr. Wolf as well, check out the video above! Happy Thanksgiving from the Nite Crier staff!